I still have the note of thanks that the CFO of International Dairy Queen wrote me 13 years ago when I worked for Oracle. You can probably guess sales reps don’t get too many notes of praise from their clients!
Well, I got a doozie of an email this week to add to my “praise file”.
It’s from a client, Brynn Breuner, who’s in my Evolve Accelerator. She sent it to me with the intention of sharing it with you. So here goes… unedited.
For a gal with perpetually redlined bank account I had no reservations about ponying up [for Evolve Accelerator]. None. Still don’t, think it’s one of the smartest things I’ve EVER done in anything and without hesitation the best thing I’ve ever done for my business.
If I could pay you more I would.
I feel like I’m finally learning things about how to run a business that I simply never knew before. If I’d gone to business school? Maybe, maybe not. But I know without question that this course is giving me the best chance for a long-term successful outcome.
I wish other entrepreneurs I know could afford it—I think of it like an entrepreneurial MBA. Each time we have a call I realize that I couldn’t afford NOT to do it.
I have a clear plan (ok, still evolving but it’s right there on the tip of my mind) about what I want my business to accomplish. Totally new!
I have for the first time a strong sense of working ON my business and not just IN it. I’ve read about that for a long time but doing it is like f*cking pure business oxygen. And I’m not gasping for breathe, I’m breathing deep and calm for the first time ever.
Sure sometimes I still get scared, but now I have things I can DO about it, and that beats the fear back into place and grows the capable, savvy badass.
Instead of being super positive and super enthusiastic and pushing the same old buttons while I work harder and harder and am still broke—now I’m super enthusiastic FOR A GOOD REASON. The difference is staggering.
You somehow make it possible to realize where and how I’ve been a complete idiot for two decades but not feel like an idiot—I feel like a normal person who just didn’t know and didn’t know how to find out.
It makes it hard to stay in the closet of shame when the door’s open, sun is shining, and a very smart, very savvy pro on the other side is there to help me kick my own ass into gear and have a ball doing it. In fact the relief I feel to not be making the same mistakes as I was is so huge and so sweet I feel almost evangelical.
You said once, “Hope is not a business strategy” and you couldn’t have nailed me better. Except to add Crossing your fingers isn’t a business plan either. Got it. Oh boy do I got it.
You’re getting me out of my little safe hiding place of mediocrity and challenging me to challenge myself to get my f*cking big girl panties on and make this thing happen.
And the guru thing. I don’t feel like I have to Be Like You to make this work—the opposite in fact:
I have to be like ME or else I’m sunk.
What a relief! And I don’t have to go to groupie parties or getaways or feel like I’m not good enough b/c I didn’t get invited to them. I just have to stay real and stay on it.
Know what I love? You don’t get 3,000 Facebook comments when you buy a pair of shoes or go to a restaurant or take a yoga class. I feel like the whole point isn’t to become a Carolyn disciple or wannabe, but to be me.
The value you offer doesn’t come from cookie cutter teacher worship (which ultimately makes me feel like I’m not good enough to do it on my own)—it comes from doing the damn work with other women who put it on the line, and hold my feet to the fire as much as I hold theirs. This alone is worth gold.
And the other people in the group? They’re gold too—and surprise, surprise, no matter how “far ahead” of me I think they may be in terms of experience or skills, it continues to amaze me that we all offer and find value in each other’s experience. In fact, of course our shared journey (however different we are) drives the learning far far deeper than I would’ve been able to take it on my own.
You want accountability? Honesty? Feedback? PROGRESS?? Join an Evolve group and get to work, sister!!
If Brynn’s letter speaks to you, apply to be a part of Evolve Accelerator. I want to get to know you. Visit the intro website to complete your application for an interview today.
If you feel like you’re making the same mistakes and want to stop circling success don’t stick this in your “think about it” or “get back to this later” files.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Most entrepreneurs are looking for shortcuts and hoping to avoid detours. Watch this video to learn the very first thing you can do to reach your destination more quickly!
It’s like going to Home Depot and an iParty [store] all at the same time!
This is how one of my clients described Evolve Accelerator earlier this week.
So in the spirit of fun, I’m going to celebrate today’s newsletter with 7 ways to make business more fun for you.
- Get in sync with your sleep. I don’t set an alarm. I get up when my body tells me it’s time to get moving. And I looooooove a short afternoon nap when my body calls for it! Ditch the sleep rules and figure out what works for you
- Connect with your inner guides. That groggy morning time is when I get my best inspiration because I haven’t gotten into my head yet. I make it a practice to let my “soul team” guide me. Resource: Soul Language
- Move. It’s incredibly important to your body and mind to get your heart pumping and stretch and build your muscles so you feel strong. Don’t worry, you don’t have to become the female version of Arnold Schwarzenegger. I run, bike, walk and/or do yoga 4-5 times per week and still don’t have a perfect body, but I feel damn good!
- Stand in your power. I see far too many entrepreneurs shy away versus acknowledge the value they deliver. Quit trying to please everyone. Be who you are. Give yourself credit for how remarkable you are. And own it!
- Align your business. Declare what you want your business to do for you and define what you enjoy doing that brings value to your clients. (I love creating, inspiring, activating, accelerating.) Then design your business model with the right packaging and pricing to support that. You’ll want to include #1-4 in your declaration, btw. Resource: Evolve Accelerator
- Prioritize. You’ll never get it all done. Decide what’s important (doing #5 helps with this) and let the non-essential stuff fall away. Don’t worry, you’re the only one who will know (or notice).
- Play! All work and no play makes Jill a dull girl. So, Ma’am, step away from your business. Play hooky. Take vacations. Hove those toenails polished. Get massages & facials. Yummy!
This list could be 17… or 107 things to bring more fun to your business, but I’ll stop here. They’re the ones that have made the BIGGEST difference to me over the years… especially in 2013.
You may have noticed that few of these have to do directly with business. Hmmmm…
And as I plan out 2014, you can trust there’ll be even more FUN in store!
P.S. I just celebrated my 11-year business anniversary. Here’s the post I wrote for my 10 year anniversary. Thought you might enjoy it: http://www.thebiztruth.com/2012/10/
When I was a kid, I dreaded bath time because I knew that the “comb routine” afterward was a painful process with my long hair…. It would get all tangled up and so I spent many, many tearful nights having Mom battle running a comb through my hair.
And then one day, she put J&J No More Tears Detangler in my hair and the agony was gone. It was sooooo simple. Keep in mind that I’m the youngest of 5 and money was tiiiiiight but Mom found it worth the investment because she probably disliked that routine more than I did.
This is how I see so many women running their service based businesses. There’s so much to sort through that it gets all messed up. And hairy. And painful. You’re tangling with all sorts of complexities that could be smoothed out with the right solution… so to speak.
Unfortunately, there’s not a single bottle of tonic you can buy at your corner drugstore for $1.99 that’ll make all of your pain go away.
But there are 5 things you MUST do if you want to avoid getting caught in hairy biz mistakes:
- Stop mimicking other people’s bis model. Create an intentional plan for how to set up your business to support your personal goals
- Stop sounding like everyone else and regurgitating what you learn from your coaches. Learn how to develop yourself as a thought leader so you’re the voice, not the echo.
- Stop believing that email marketing is the only way to build your business. Response to email marketing is on the decline. Create marketing strategies to find and meet more of your perfect peeps.
- Stop treating sales so casually. Create a sales conversation strategy that converts more of your prospects to paying clients.
- Stop wasting your time on inconsequential crap. Get ruthless when it comes to prioritizing your goals, as well as managing your time and mindset.
If you feel like you’re tangled up in your business despite the coaching you’ve gotten (or not) and you’re not making the progress you’d expected, check out my Evolve Accelerator program where I walk up to 6 women through each of these keys over 6 months that brings you clarity, clients and cash.
Visit this intro page and apply now:
This is the program I wish I’d had when I started my business but it didn’t exist. I’m a biz vet who’s played a hand in the launch of over 100 businesses and trained thousands of entrepreneurs over the past 10+ years in business and I want to help you.
So complete the short application using the link at the bottom of http://www.evolveaccelerator.com/. I’ll personally review your app and schedule an interview to determine if we’re a fit for each other.
So let’s talk. I’d love to help you.